Thursday, November 17, 2011

Early Riser

I woke up this morning at 3:15 and haven't been able to go back to sleep. I blame the latte that I had at 5:00 last night. Caffeine and I don't get along so well. Especially if I don't allow at least 15 hours before I try sleeping again.

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that the lights in the living room were still on. I heard some rustling around and I realized that Claire was still awake. Welcome to finals.


Claire is kind of famous for these painful all nighters that she so easily pulls. One or two of them a quarter and somehow she always seems to get everything done.

Once it became clear that I would not be going back to bed anytime soon, I tinkered around my room for a bit and contemplated whether or not to start packing, but decided it would be smarter to put it off a little longer. I wish I had one of those adorable routines for when I'm up in the middle of the night like you usually see in romantic comedies. You know what I'm talking about-- the part of the movie where our nerdy, but lovable leading man catches the petite and quirky heroine up at 4 in the morning aimlessly painting a giant canvas or cooking some sort of obscure specialty. Later in the movie, we discover that this behavior stems from a momentous time in her past like a bad break up or the death of a close family member.

Eventually, I ditched trying to come up with something cool and decided to catch up on some way past due Hulu quality time. A couple episodes of Modern Family later and I was still wide awake.

Then I remembered that I had rented a movie on iTunes a couple weeks ago called Bill Cunningham: New York-- a documentary on iconic New York Times street style photographer and his momentous career. It came out last spring, but Savannah is a little slow on the uptick when it comes to more independent movies and documentaries so I've had to wait all this time!

I watched it. I loved it. I am now recommending it.

It reminded me a lot of a video that I posted a year ago on the advanced style of a select group of seniors in NYC. Their flare for color and pattern and personal expression is something that Bill Cunningham is extremely drawn to and known for photographing. It convinces me even more to take chances with what I wear and how I choose to enjoy fashion. Besides the fashiony side of it, Bill is so endearing and it is just a really good documentary. (It's also currently available on instant watch on Netflix)



After I finished the movie, I peeked into the living room to see that Claire was still hard at work and coming down the home stretch just in time for her last class of the quarter at 8.

Now, as all of the ladies begin to greet the morning, I am feeling the fatigue of my missed night of sleep. Or maybe it's just the caffeine finally wearing off.

So, good morning, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment