Thursday, January 5, 2012

What I'm Listening To

The day I left, with a little extra time to spare before heading to the airport, I sat down and watched something my mom had recorded on our TV about the Kennedy Center Honors. The Kennedy Center Honors is an award of lifetime achievement in the preforming arts given out every year. This years recipients were Meryl Streep, Neil Diamond, Barbara Cook, Sonny Rollins and Yo-Yo Ma. Watching their peers, colleagues and proteges give amazing tributes to each of them in their specific fields was not only beautiful but moving.

Anywho- during the tribute to Yo-Yo Ma, I discovered that on top of also being an iconic classical musician, he is also a highly regarded bluegrass musician. Who woulda thought? Not this gal. After a little research and few iTunes searches, I stumbled upon his work on a record called "The Goat Rodeo Sessions."

I bought.

I played it.

I played it again.

I haven't turned it off.

It's soothing and interesting in a way that classical music always is, but with a sound that I have never really heard before in regards to the cello.

I mean, I'm no Amelia Burlingham or anything, but this stuff sounds legit. Give it a listen.

2 comments:

  1. Goat Rodeo Sessions is SO FRICKING SWEET. I'm so proud of you for discovering it!! Maybe wean yourself off the Justin Bieber? And thank you for the plethora of Emilia Burlingham mentions in your blog lately!

    ReplyDelete