Monday, March 8, 2010

The Rundown

So, last night's Oscars were good. Good. Not outstanding just good. I think that Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin did a great job adding funny yet still clean humor to the night and the Kodak theatre looked great. The show seemed to go off without a hitch. I am so glad that none of the movies swept the whole night (Avatar in particular) because that just seems to make things so boring! I also liked the fact that the speeches were short, sweet and to the point with barely any political undertones that are so unnecessary (p.s. what was with that random lady jumping on the stage and interrupting the Precious screenwriter in his moment of glory?) The fashions were a little disappointing. As stated in my last posts, I love to be shocked and wowed when the stars walk down the carpet and unfortunately, none of the looks did that for me last night. Of course, I had my favorites, but there was no magic in any of the clothes. Lame. There were some major themes that we started to see as the night went on like the overload of creams, golds, and off-whites (SJP, Bullock, Seyfried...) and we also saw many dresses with prints (Gyllenhaal, Mcadams...). Here are my top 5:

It took some getting used to, but I have finally decided that i love this vintage Chanel on Sarah Jessica Parker. She always makes a bold statement with fashion and this dress seemed to be bold in a very subtle way. After mulling over it during the show and then getting a good night's rest to really consider it, I've decided that the classic simplicity of the pillar like silhouette allows me to give this dress two thumbs up.


Rachel Mcadams is so beautiful and her whole entire look was one of my faves of the night. Here we see the previously mentioned trend of prints and the spring color scheme looked great with her hair and make-up. It's really about the complete look and I think she demonstrates that beautifully.


O, Miss Cyrus. As much as I wish I could hate you, I just can't bring myself to do it. There's something about her obnoxiousness that makes me love her, but whether you like her or not, you cannot deny the beauty of this dress. Wowza. Come to think of it, She has really stepped up her game when it comes to red carpet fashion in the last couple of awards seasons. In the end, though, she's just being Miley.


Kate Winslet. If I could look anything like her in my forties, I must have done something right in my life. She seems so confident and self-assured and those make any woman look attractive. Add on such an effortless dress and you find yourself a winner. She really knows how to dress to bring out her best features and she rarely misses the mark.


And the big winner of the night: Sandra Bullock. From the moment she stepped out of her limo, she just looked like a winner. I am thrilled that she won the Oscar which, in my opinion, she fully earned (mom) and I loved her speech. On top of all that, how could you not love her in this dress?


That's it for my top 5, but honorable mention definitely goes out to Maggie Gyllenhaal, Anna Kendrick, Cameron Diaz, and Kristen Stewart. Well done, ladies. For the men, the Mr. Dapper awards go out to Ryan Reynolds (be still, my soul), Colin Firth (my old man crush), and Jake Gyllenhaal (I'll take Reese's sloppy seconds any day).

That's it for awards season this year. Tear. But what did you guys think about all of the looks last night?

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this..I LOVED miley cyrus's dress aswell ( minus the fact that the whole time she was wearing it she was slouching)..Also, Demi moore looked So pretty! and you're right about ryan reynolds (aka: my husband), he always looks HOT. Love you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Sandra Bullock, but no, I don't think she "deserved" to win -- I'm glad she did, but I dont' think that part was much of a stretch -- give me a well done accent or a life situation that is far out of the ordinary . . .now THAT might get ya an Oscar!

    LOOOOVVVEEE how you write - and love you!

    ps lace with beading

    ReplyDelete