Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day

Good morning, friends! In case you've been taking a nap for the past few year or so, today is a very important day in America. It's election day, by golly! 

But not just any old election... the election for, among a handful of other important positions, the President of the United States of America. The President of the United States of America. Wow. What a thing to think about. One man in charge of an entire country-- a country of which, I believe, to be the greatest in the entire world. Can you imagine? What a responsibility. This is a job that can positively and negatively influence such a great number of people. And what's important for me to remember is that these influences can be made no matter what the party affiliation may be.  

This is my very first presidential election to vote in-- something that I have looked forward to nearly my entire life. Full disclosure: I may or may not have gotten a little teary when filling out my absent-tee ballot. What can I say? I am my mother's daughter. And what an honor and privilege it is to be able to vote! To be able to exercise the freedom to have a voice in a political system that affects our everyday lives and to be able to take part in, at its most basic level, a great tradition that our country has passed down since it's inception. 

Although my political views are quite strong and I do my very best to be as educated as I can on the subjects concerning our country and how it pertains to me, I claim to be no expert. And although I am very much my mother's daughter in that, with the right prompting, I can get a little feisty when talking politics, I am going to do my very best to refrain. What I do know is that today is an important day. And, for lack of a better word, it is a colossal waste to not take part in one of the very few duties as  members of this democracy.  And on top of that, I would wager to say that the majority of the reasons one wouldn't turn out on election day comes down to a whole load of excuses that ultimately boil down to apathy and sheer laziness. (Hey-- I said I would do my best to refrain...) So vote! Why in the world wouldn't you want your voice to be heard?

Anyway, no matter what happens today, I'm beginning it and ending it with these verses:

But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations. Psalm 33:11

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by the testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

PS- I am going to be very stressed all day... and nomatter who wins, there will probably be tears... my ballot has been mailed and this whole shebang is out of my hands... but... I am going to wear red underwear for a little extra good luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment